Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Big Important Debate of 2011

Hey!

First things first before we start off the big debate. Did anyone watch Craigslist Killer on Lifetime last night? Three words for ya: not worth it. What Lifetime movie is though, right?

So the big debate is not really that big but is important in my house. We eat sweet potatoes in atleast one meal a week.


Now that we have all these pretty pots and pans- we got to work on fancy schmancy sweet potatoes two ways.

Baked Sweet Potato "Fries"
  • Sweet Potato
  • Oil (canola or olive)
  • S & P
I used the food processor to make very thin slices for these babies. Then I tossed them in a bowl with the oil and S & P. Sometimes, when I'm feelin' extra sweet/spicy, I'll add some cinnamon and sugar or cayenne pepper for a kick.

The Verdict? The food processor made the slices WAY to thin so they kind of burned. Sad. They were still good though.

Fried Sweet Potato "Fries"

Same Ingredients. With these, we heated up about 2 tbsp. olive oil in a pan.
These bad boys cooked within 5-6 minutes. I put some paper towels down on a plate to soak up some of the greasiness.

Next up, I made some faux hummus. Why Faux, you may ask? Well, I am pretty cheap- I didnt want to buy the bottle of tahini for 8.99. I am sure I can get it somewhere else for much cheaper so I'll wait 'til that day.

Chick peas are an amazing health food. Just look at these stats. Right now, I am reading "SuperFoods HealthStyle" by Steven G. Pratt and Kathy Matthews. They say regular consumption of beans can:
  • Lower cholesterol
  • Combat heart disease
  • Reduce cancer risk
  • Stabilize blood sugar
  • Reduce obesity
  • Lower risk for type II diabetes
  • Deliciouso
Ok, I added the last bullet. But really, when prepared the right way they are awesome. Always remember that when using canned beans, it is best to drain them since the water they are packed in is FULL of salt.
Beans Bean the magical fruit....;)
This hummus was delicious!! Hummus is such an amazing health food- if you arent eating it with your sweet potato fries... You should be :) Even my junk food loving boyfriend did!
  • Chick Peas (I used two 16-oz cans..which means a lot of hummus)
  • 2 Cloves Garlic
  • Diced tomatoes (I used 12-oz can of low-sodium tomatoes mixed with basil.. yum! Fresh would be best of course)
  • Olive Oil
  • S & P, to taste
In food processor, combine all ingredients. Mix until smooth. Enjoy!


***

My New Years resolution of being more positive has been going good so far. I have consciously made an effort to not be such a grinch :)
I hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment