Thursday, December 23, 2010

Confession Time

I am one of those people who struggles with an "all or nothing" mentality. This mentality exists in many different aspects of my life- including my diet.
Source of Picture
I know I am not the only one. I've seen my friends do it too. Its so stupid.

The other day, I was having lunch at a restaurant with a friend. We both ordered big salads for lunch and drank water. At the end of the meal, the waiter came around with the dessert menu and my friend grabbed one and ordered something.

The dessert came. She ate it all.

Once we left, we were at the gas station and my friend bought some M & M's and proceeded to say "Well, I already ruined my day with the dessert. Might as well make it a bad eating day"

..Does this make any sense?
No, darn it. That's not how it should be. Eat one cookie, enjoy it and be mindful while eating it and move on with your day.

Somedays when I am upset about eating somethimg unhealthy, my boyfriend will say "get over it". Although, this may sound harsh- he is completely right. I need to not dwell on the fact that I enjoyed food.


The voice of Reason/HUGE goofball..love him :)

Over the past few months, I have been trying to rid my mind of this silly behavior. Although, sometimes I do slip back I have truly noticed a difference when I realize that one treat or one glass of wine doesnt mean I have to "blow it" and go all out.

"Alter the cycle by eating like a healthy human being instead of a sanitarium patient on a prescribed and monitored diet. Start with the resolve that you are finished with diets but you are willing to exercise some restraint. This is the middle path. It is not sexy and exciting, nor is it agonizing and dramatic. For this reason, it has never been widely popular in the "Hey, have we got something that works for you!" world of weight control. Nevertheless, it works."
-Victoria Moran, Author of "Fit from Within"

1 comment:

  1. The fact that you recognize that "all or nothing" type of thinking as irrational is so important! Anytime you realize you start to slip back into that mentality, stop yourself! No one gained weight or got unhealthy from one meal or one dessert! Its only when we adopt bad habits that it becomes an issue. This is why diets don't work, instead make small, gradual changes and they will soon become a part of your lifestyle. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete