Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Budget Friendly Cubicle Lunch

Hi friends, happy Fat Tuesday!

Today, I was lucky enough to get to spend 38 minutes on the phone with one of my best friends, Greta.

Last year at this time, we spent 12 amazing days in the U.S Virgin Island, St John nannying for a family with two adorable boys.

As I sit at my cubicle these days, it is really hard not to day dream back to those days in one of the most beautiful places in the world. St. John is amazing and I'd obviously go back in a heart beat. 
Now that I went off on that rampant, I'll get back to the reason for this post.

I love to eat healthy because it makes me feel good and have more energy. Some people are under the assumption that to eat healthy you have to have all sorts of money.

Pfft.

Here is my lunch today:

Each week, I buy three heads of romaine ($1.99) and chop it all up for salads and sandwiches. I got this big container at Reny's for a couple bucks and it is perfect because it seals tight to keep my produce fresh. To this mix, I add some frozen green peas (99 cents) because they thaw out and taste delicious in salads!
I also bring some edamame soy beans ($2.99) to eat on my break. Not only are they super healthy, they take a while to eat so I stay satisfied.

Along with a big salad and the beans, I love to eat rice cakes ($1.99) with natural peanut butter ($2.99) and jelly ($1.99).

Yum!
Frozen berries ($2.99) and plain yogurt ($1.99)  are also enjoyed with my lunch.

So there ya have it. I love lunches that have a lot of variety for my taste buds like this one.

What are your favorite cheap ways to eat healthy?

Have a great night :)

3 comments:

  1. My standard lunch (2-3 times per week) is an apple, with fat-free pretzels and about 1/2 tablespoon of penut butter. I also have a (sorry) diet soda. I snack on unsalted peanuts and fig newtons. And an ocassional handful of peanut M&Ms. - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww I love this post girl :) what you got to St. John for a NANNY gig?! You lucky lady! :) Frozen berries are SO yummy! Hope you're having a fabulous Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always buy in bulk if it's avaiable, and buy frozen veggies sometimes in the winter. I save on at least .50/pound that way!

    ReplyDelete